Tuesday, June 7, 2011

French Macaroons (Macarons)

This past weekend I ran a test on my macaron (macaroon) recipe.  I wanted to make an adjustment to the recipe that I was hoping would both improve the finished product and also slightly simplify the process.  It worked!!!  In my experience it is not very often that you're able to find a solution to an issue in a recipe that both improves the result and simplifies the process so I'm very pleased.  I also wanted to run a test on the shelf life of the cookies and best storage methods.  My results are that these cookies are best stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. 
A macaron is a simple cookie in terms of ingredients (it consists of only ground almonds, sugar & egg white), but it is very complicated in its simplicity.  What I mean by this is that the cookies themselves are so simple that any mistake is highlighted in the finished product, there's not a lot of complexity to hide imperfections.  Technique is very important in each step of the process. 

Vanilla Macarons with Amaretto Buttercream

I should mention that a properly made macaron is probably my most favorite food.  I'm intensely passionate about the pursuit of perfection with macarons, borderline obsessive compulsive.  I almost shake/tremble as I finish filling them in anticipation of the first bite...I know, I have a problem and I need help...

Once the batter has been made (essentially a french/common meringue is folded into ground almonds and powdered sugar) it has to be piped onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper.
The trays of piped batter then have to be tapped (somewhat aggressively) on the bottom of the pans or dropped from a slight elevation to aid in flattening and evening the cookies.  Perhaps the most important step is the next one...the piped and uncooked cookies must be left to rest about an hour at room temperature.  This rest period forms a crust on the batter and will result in both the proper finished texture and appearance.
The macarons are then placed into a 325 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes, rotating the pans half way through the cooking time.  The results are above.  The cookies cannot be removed from the trays until they have cooled completely.


The next step in a proper french macaroon is filling them...think grown up & intensely decadent Oreo cookie.  I've made an Italian buttercream (or cooked meringue buttercream) flavored with amaretto in this rendition.  These cookies do not last long in the J. Gilbert's Glastonbury kitchen, I've not met a single person yet who can resist the allure of these beauties. 

perhaps you might see an appearance by the "lowly" macaron during our summer tasting series...I mean there's got to a be reason other than gluttony that I'm testing these things right???
 

No comments:

Post a Comment